Weimaraners, does anyone have one?

Written by on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 – 4:30 am -

I have a Weimaraner and she is so sweet, i was just wondering if they ever calm down LOL. I take her to Obedience classes where they have many weimaraners and all of theirs seem calm. Hope (my Weimaraner) is always doing something (good or bad). I was just wondering what i should expect in the years too come. She is a blast to be around, and she is always putting a smile on my face. I am having one problem with her though, she has just realized that she can put her feet on the counter/table, so she is now starting to pull stuff off. any ideas to stop her from doing this? I can never seem to catch her in the act.

Great dog one of my favorite; Try this with her counter "etiquette" put some food on the counter, when she makes a move for it command her "DOWN" w/ a clap. When she gets down make sure you put her in a sit position, wait for her next move…. if she tries again repeat the command continue this till she finally gives in. This may take some time and patience but you have to out last her if you want to correct this.

Smart dog, stubborn at times but a great dog. These dogs are known to be hyper but, I think with plenty of exercise and alot of training you can get her to settle down.

Posted in weimaraners | 7 Comments »

7 Responses to “Weimaraners, does anyone have one?”

1. By Tonya B on Jan 31, 2007 | Reply

Nope, sorry they don't calm down. ha ha When they get a lot older of course they slow down throughout the years however not while still younger. They are good loyal pets though – a great addition to anyone's family!
    References :

2. By hannah s on Jan 31, 2007 | Reply

yes i do have a Weimaraner she never calm down. i calm my dog down is by a water bottle when my dog gets really exercised i just spray him with it he will just calm down.
    References :

3. By trebobnagrom on Jan 31, 2007 | Reply

Ha Ha Ha! No sorry they dont calm down. This is one of the most hyper breeds there is. The only way to calm her down is to tire her out, and this is only temporary. She needs to run to release some of that energy! Take her for a jog or a bike ride, something faster than a walk. Do this daily, at least once a day. Play fetch for hours. Good luck!
    References :

4. By Beano on Jan 31, 2007 | Reply

References :

5. By bonesetter on Jan 31, 2007 | Reply

Great dog, congratulations.

You haven't said how old she is, but I'll guess she's still quite young. You can expect her to begin to develop a brain at about 18 months, and work out how to use it at around 2 years. You can help by being very consistent with her, staying calm at all times, socialising her with other dogs, and taking her to obedience classes.

Be very careful around roads – I have yet to see one with any traffic sense.

They are beautiful, aren't they.
    References :

6. By Addismom on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

I have a rescued Weimaraner who came to me after 3 homes and a shelter in her first 14 months. Needless to say, she had major separation anxiety in addition to being a young crazy Weimaraner girl! She also was heartworm positive so spent her first 7 months with me undergoing treatment…no exercise, lots of meds, and anxiety (along with being a sweet crazy Weimaraner) made for some times that required lots of calm, patience, consistency, and routine. She’s now heartworm free and has been able to be a normal dog for the past year and a half. As she approached 3 years old, she really started to settle down and gain confidence. We exercise and play daily, do lots of training, and these things have seemed to help her settle as well. Plus, I think now that she’s had stability and the anxiety has decreased, she’s just a pretty laid-back personality. Bottom line, physical and mental engagement for the dog, patience and consistency from you, Weims are super smart, she will learn! Good luck and enjoy your awesome dog!

7. By Toni on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

I’ve had Weimaraners most of my life. They don’t slow down. Tjey were bred to work in the field (hunt) for long periods, so the stamina is bred into them. I take mine to the local dog park and him run for at least an hour a day. Keeps him nice and even and much calmer. They need to be with other dogs for the socialization, and mine have all been pretty gregarious, so they have always had buddies to romp with there. Try i, you’ll be surprised at the difference it makes, and life will be a lot nicer for you both Good luck!!