Why is my weimaraners coat turning colors and spotty all over?

Written by jemke1 on Wednesday, September 3, 2008 – 4:20 pm -

Don't believe the person who told you your dog is not purebred. Weims are prone to skin problems…are the spots raised under the skin, like hives? If so, this could be a bacterial infection and can often be cleared up easily with a round of antibiotics, your vet could tell you. My weims get hives when they are stressed out and get 'bumps. These usually appear on the dog's neck and back.

Also, your dog could have an allergy to something which could make the hair fall out…as the hair dies, it may appear discolored and makes the dog look spotty. I have to disagree with the person who responded below me. I've had my weims get into plants outside they were allergic to and have rashy like hair loss on their chest without presenting other symtoms.

Although it's a little late, your dog could also be blowing his coat. Even though weims have very short fine coats, depending on where you live and how hot it gets, they will still lose substantial amounts of hair in the summer (usually this happens when it begins getting warm however). This will also result in a 'spotty' coat until they are finished. If this is what's going on you could benefit a lot from a 'zoom groom' made by KONG brand. You can find these at petco or petsmart with the grooming supplies. This is a tool similar to a curry comb used on horses and will pull all the dead hair out.

I don't have blue weims so can't speak to what they may be prone to, but I think the respondent above that likened a weim to a dobie is way off.

In any case, your dog is going to be fine, it's likely nothing serious, just typical weim coat/skin problems. It does, however, warrant a trip to the vet to determine the exact cause and treatment. Take your dog to the vet and let him take a look to make sure it's not a skin infection or allergy that needs to be treated. Then, get a zoom groom, use it several times a week and don't over wash your dog. You shouldn't be bathing them more than once or twice a month unless they get really dirty.

Good Luck.

Posted in weimaraners | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “Why is my weimaraners coat turning colors and spotty all over?”

1. By gawainer on Aug 10, 2006 | Reply

Could be nutritional (if he eats well, he may have worms). It could be mange, or even eczema. I'd get him checked out if I were you.
    References :
    Former nurse

2. By wasabi_luvva on Aug 10, 2006 | Reply

Be more specific! What colors? And when you say "spotty", do you mean spots of a different color or spots of baldness? (If the former, your weimaraner isn't a weimeraner at all.)
    References :

3. By cm30324 on Aug 10, 2006 | Reply

It's not a purebred. This happends when someone doesnt' research their breeder throughaly.

References :

4. By k9resq on Aug 10, 2006 | Reply

I would be more inclined to think she has a skin problem and what you are seeing is the result of lesions causing her hair to stand up thus putting it in a shadow that makes it appear a different color. Dogs with short hair that are blue have common skin problems. Especially your dogs breed, blue dobermans, etc… See a vet.
    References :
    vet tech 25 yrs

5. By mcghankathy on Aug 10, 2006 | Reply

Weimaraners are prone to skin problems due to the very short coat and exposed skin. It's time for the vet.
    References :

6. By k on Aug 10, 2006 | Reply

Good Luck.
    References :
    weim owner

7. By tlctreecare on Aug 10, 2006 | Reply

I own Weims and have for 10 years.
    They are not prone to the same skin conditions as blue dobermans. Weims are not prone to alopecia that is the thing bule dobes get.
    Weims are prone to allergies and they can show up as skin problems. Most likely dry flakey areas.
    Depending on the color of your dog, blue or fawn or grey they do have some shades of color to thier coats.
    I have blues and my females has some areas on her that as showing alittle brown to them. It is normal. If youare seeing actual spots that is not normal.
    I would have you vet check to make sure your pet does not have some type of skin problem.
    If it is an allergy I think you would be seeing other symptoms as well as color in the coat.
    Good luck.
    References :
    I am a dog trainer

8. By Tiffany on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Hello all,

I have a weim that is 7 years old. This summer he has been spending a tremendous amount of time outside b/c of a new baby and working alot. Since summer began I’ve noticed his fur fading lighter and lighter till now he went from having a beautiful silver grey color to an ugly light brown faded color. The only thing left that is the silver gray is his head/face and his legs/feet. Also I’m noticing almost like age spots or large freckles under his fur on his belly and some on his back. When I pet his fur it is very dry and brittle, not the soft velvet feel that is normal for him. I tried bathing and conditioning him, it didn’t work. Any suggestions? (we haven’t changed his food or his sourroundings, we’ve lived in the same house w/the same plants now since he’s been born)

9. By S on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

We have year old Weim who’s coat has changed since summer started being new to this breed have been doing alot if research as his normal silver grey was turning brown. A few months ago he ask developed this really dark brown/black patch on back of his neck which we thought was some tar from the riverbed but it spread down the length of his back and about 3 inches wide! Quite worrying took him to vets as suspected it might be mange they were not sure so gave him 6wks worth of treatment but that’s now finished and the dirty mark is still there. After looking at loads of forums we believe his coat has ‘blown’ and is a natural process from pup to adult fur and the colour can change in the process. His fur has been really dull all over and the patch was coarse we have now been brushing him with a zoom groom made by kong which is brilliant he is starting to lose his brown fur and looking silkier on his face and legs but this patch isn’t going. The fur is getting softer but that’s it. I have no idea how long the coats stays like this before it improves???

10. By S on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Hi We have a year old Weim who’s coat has changed since summer started being new to this breed have been doing alot if research as his normal silver grey was turning brown. A few months ago he ask developed this really dark brown/black patch on back of his neck which we thought was some tar from the riverbed but it spread down the length of his back and about 3 inches wide! Quite worrying took him to vets as suspected it might be mange they were not sure so gave him 6wks worth of treatment but that’s now finished and the dirty mark is still there. After looking at loads of forums we believe his coat has ‘blown’ and is a natural process from pup to adult fur and the colour can change in the process. His fur has been really dull all over and the patch was coarse we have now been brushing him with a zoom groom made by kong which is brilliant he is starting to lose his brown fur and looking silkier on his face and legs but this patch isn’t going. The fur is getting softer but that’s it. I have no idea how long the coats stays like this before it improves???

11. By Fred Nath on Apr 1, 2012 | Reply

I’ve had a ghost-grey Weim bitch for eight years. A year ago she started to go bald over her stomach and chest. She then developed spots of dark fur on her back and withers. The vet said it was folliculitis (a bacterial infection in the pores of the hair follicles). The dark hair was new growth. She gave a course of anti-biotics which stopped the spread. She also recommended ‘Coatex’ and oily liquid on her food twice per day. The hair grew back within a month on her chest and abdomen. I swear by Coatex – puts hairs on your chest – wish it did the same for my pate!
    BTW you can get Coatex on the net.

12. By P on Oct 20, 2012 | Reply

Our 8 year of Weimaraner (son of a former SH CH) is beautiful but a few months ago, he came out in postules on his belly and back. Two courses of antibiotics later, they have dried up, although he does still get the odd eruption, but he now has large round black spots on his back and his once beautiful grey fur is turning brown (apart from his head which is still silver). Ironically he is on D/D pet prescription food for gastro problems and D/D is supposed to be for skin problems!

Our vet is now thinking he’s developed a reaction to his food so we are weaning him back onto Z/D ultra. I am spending £80 every 10 days on his food alone. Good thing I love him.